Report: Alligator Alcatraz’ Immigration Facility Will Have No Detainees In Coming Days

Florida’s latest migrant detention center could be in it’s final stretch.

The controversial migrant detention center referred to as “Alligator Alcatraz” will soon have no detainees in it, according to an email from a state official

The email was sent by Kevin Guthrie, the head of the Florida Division of Emergency Management, to the interfaith community.

“We are probably going to be down to 0 individuals within a few days,” Guthrie wrote.

Late Wednesday, U.S. District Judge Kathleen Williams denied a request by the Trump administration and Florida state officials to halt her order last week to effectively wind down operations at the facility. The officials had asked for a stay of her order while they appeal the decision. But in a ruling Wednesday night, Williams said they had failed to provide new information and reiterated arguments they had already made during the preliminary injunction hearing.

In declarations filed in court, officials argued the facility was necessary because other detention centers in the state are overcrowded. They also argued that it would cost millions of dollars to wind down operations. The judge was not swayed.

“Again, as noted in the Order, Defendants constructed the facility in eight days and have repeatedly emphasized that the facility was designed and constructed to be temporary,” she wrote.

An appeals court has yet to rule on the matter. 

While speaking to the press on Wednesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) said it is Department of Homeland Security officials who decide on the “pacing” of when to process and move individuals detained at Alligator Alcatraz in the Everglades.

The governor insisted there is still a need for these state facilities as deportations ramp up, touting his upcoming Deportation Depot in north Florida.

“Ultimately, it’s DHS’s decision where they want to process and stage detainees and it’s their decision about when they want to bring them out,” the governor said.

2 Comments

  1. Why don’t these black robes, who so obviously know diddly squat about Immigration Law, tend to their business instead of interfering with the Executive Branch?

    Whatever happened to the halt on BLANKET NATIONWIDE BANS from “DISTRICT” judges who should stick to ruling for their OWN “DISTRICT” which said district is NOT nationwide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.